Traveling with man’s best friend is no menial task, there are numerous things to remember and plenty of checklists to well, check off. To make sure you do not let your furry friend down, both of you must be all paws on deck. That’s why Marshallspetzone has got you covered with a tell-all travel guide for your canine, from traveling with your dog by plane to traveling with your dog in the car, and everything in between. Our information is pervasive and will apply with you those of you wanting to travel with big dogs and those wanting to travel with small dogs.
What to Pack
One of the most annoying parts of travel is when you’ve realized that you have managed to forget an essential item, and just as you have essential items so does your dog. Be sure to remember all his essential items as well behest you don’t annoy your furry friend. Here is a quick reminder as to what you will need :
- Medical records, including health certificates and proof of rabies vaccination
- Medications that your dog takes regularly
- The contact information of your regular Veterinarian
- Comb or Brush and Flea removal products
- Pet wipes and other grooming products because Fido has to look just as fly as his owner
- Pet stain/odor remover and a rag or paper towels
- Dog food and treats for days
- Bottled water (helps prevent stomach upset)
- Food and water dishes
- Leashes, your handy dandy pooper scooper, and waste bags
- Spare collar with an ID tag, don’t forget yours either when you decide to take your wingman to the club
- Your dogs favorite toy and blanket, you wouldn’t leave your house without yours, would you?
- A second ID tag that includes address and the number of where you are staying
- First Aid kit
- And last but not least a solid list of dog -friendly attractions because all work and no play makes Fido a dull boy.
Now that you’ve got your buddy all packed and ready to go, let’s take a look at how you and your canine companion are going to embark on this journey to your destination.
When Dogs Fly: Travelling with your dog in a plane
Traveling thousands of miles on a giant metal tube soaring through the air might be normal and safe for a human being but there is a growing consensus that it might not be equally as safe for our canine counterparts. Air travel is especially dangerous for dogs with “pushed in faces” such as pugs and bulldogs as their short nasal passages leave them vulnerable to oxygen deprivation and heat strokes. Even for a breed with non pushed in faces, it is recommended that air travel with dogs is a last resort, and yes this officially makes “Air Bud” an oxymoron.
In the case, you do decide to travel by flight with your canine companion here are a few tips :
- Given the choice, always opt to travel with your dog in the cabin
- Book direct travel in order to avoid stress and mishaps for your pet
- Get an airline approved crate and train your pooch beforehand to avoid stress and discomfort
- Make sure your dog has access to water
- Exercise your dog before you arrive at the airport
Airlines’ Pooch Policies: Travel with your dog in cabin!
Are you planning on booking flight tickets for you and your canine companion but have no idea what the prerequisites are? Do not stress anymore because we have got you covered with all the formalities and requirements asked by the airlines in order to fly on a plane with your dog!
1. Air India :
- Small inoffensive domestic with valid health certification and up to date vaccination records will be accepted on Air India domestic flights in the cabin or in the cargo hold at owner’s risk and subject to the requirements of the cabin and carrier.
- Pets must be properly carried in an IATA ( International Air Transport Authority) flight carrier along with a muzzle and moisture absorbent mat
- The weight of the pet and the container combined should not exceed 5 kilograms for carriage in the cabin. Larger pets will have to travel in the cargo hold
- There is a maximum limit of 2 pets per flight total and passengers traveling with pets will be seated in the back of their respective cabin
- Bookings can be made for pets as accompanied/excess baggage through Air India reservations
- Pets will be carried at an additional charge and will not be considered as part of the free baggage even in the event of the passenger having no other baggage
- Excess baggage charges applicable for carriage of accompanied pets as well for the combined weight of the pet plus container plus the food carried on the container
- Trained guide dogs properly muzzled and leashed and with proper health and vaccination certificates, may be carried free of charge if the dog is trained to lead the passenger with impaired vision/hearing and if the passenger is dependent on the dog
- On International flights, the dog will have to have all the proper health and vaccination records, entry permits and transit documents of the country of entry AND transit along with a prior agreement with carrier only then will the pet be accepted for travel
- Air India does NOT allow pets on flights to the US and the UK
2. Jet Airways: Jet Airways currently does NOT allow dogs to travel in their flights
3. SpiceJet :
- SpiceJet allows live animals such as dogs on there Boeing B737- 800 and 900 series aircraft only
Pets are only carried in Cargo and not allowed in the cabin
- Valid health and vaccination certificate and documents required for carriage by air will, with the advancement agreement of carrier, subject to carrier regulations
- Dogs are permitted as freight, in the pressurized and temperature controlled area of the aircraft
Dogs must be in a proper kennel made with non-chewable material with smooth edges and properly ventilated in the proper size.
- Pets are accepted at the owners’ risk and SpiceJet does not assume liability for refused entry or passage through any territory
- Owners must sign a letter indemnifying SpiceJet from any and all liability
Pets will be subject to all quarantine protocols and situations accordingly with the destination of travel in the event of one
- SpiceJet prohibits certain “aggressive” breeds of dogs/hybrid dogs/ short muzzled dogs for transport by airs
- Females with suckling young and unweaned animals are not accepted
- Weaned puppies under 12 weeks are not accepted
- One passenger may travel with a maximum of 3 pet containers
- SpiceJet will not accept the following breeds of dogs and cats, including short-muzzled dog breeds, as these animals are known to be susceptible to increased risk of heat stroke (when exposed to stress or changes in temperature), breathing difficulties or increased travel stress:
- All short-muzzled dog breeds and their cross-breeds, including:
- All Boxers, Bulldogs, Mastiffs & Spaniels
- Brussels Griffon (Petite Brabancon)
- Chow Chow
- Dogo Argentino
- Fila Braziller & their crosses
- Japanese Chin (Chin, Japanese Spaniel, Japanese Pug) and all other breeds of Pug
- Lhasa Apso
- Pit Bull
- Shar Pei
- Shih Tzu
- All Animals will be scanned with a Hand Held Metal Detector (HHMD) prior to acceptance for carriage
- Health Certificate from Veterinarian Doctor must be provided along with a letter stating fitness for air carriage
- Vaccination record with the date of rabies vaccination
- All required documents must be in English
If you aspiring travelers do not have a flight carrier, do not stress out. Marshallspetzone has got you covered, all of our flight carriers are IATA (International Air Transport Authority) approved for air carriage. We got your biggest and smallest buddies covered with all kinds of kennels to make sure you and your furry buddy can kick back and relax in your cabin.
Also, all of you traveling with your dogs please remember there is no reason to sedate your dog before air travel unless your regular Veterinarian Doctor explicitly recommends it. Fly safe!
Indian Railways with your Canine Companion: Travel with your dog in trains
Rejoice! You and your canine companion can now travel in a first AC compartment. For this, you’d have to book a first AC coupe/ cabin, as you are only allowed to take your dog if you have an entire cabin to yourself.
You can receive the ticket for your dog at the parcel counter of the railway station. These tickets are only issued once the reservation chart is prepared, generally, this occurs 4 hours before the scheduled departure time of the train. We recommend arriving 2-3 hours prior to the scheduled departure time to ensure one collects the ticket from the parcel counter in time.
If you do not manage to get a cabin to yourselves, then your dog will be asked to travel in the luggage car. In this case, one would have to provide food and water for the pooch and check on him at stations where the train stops. We do not recommend traveling in this manner.
Road Trip: Travel with your dog in a car for long distances
Traveling by car instead of plane or train allows much more flexibility, but we advise one to be vigilant about the risks and concerns as well.
Safety is paramount when it comes to car travel with your canine. One must always make sure that their dog is securely and comfortably fastened during a car trip. If a dog is left free to roam there is a chance that they could inadvertently be the cause of an accident by either distracting the driver or by getting tangled in the pedals.
It is never a good idea to let your dog ride in the front seat as in the event of the airbags deploying, they could cause serious injuries to your friend. We recommend that under no circumstance do you let your dog ride in the front seat due to risks and even as seat belts have never reliably shown to protect dogs in the event of an accident. The most secure mode of transport for your canine is to place him in a spacious carrier which you are able to secure.
As much as your furry buddy might beg, it is not a good idea to let your dog stick his head out the window. Owners have previously reported their dogs being injured after being struck by debris or a gust of cold wind going down there dog’s lungs and causing illness. We strongly recommend one strictly prohibit their dog from sticking their head out the window. If your pooch whines incessantly we suggest providing a snack or a chew toy. We also recommend crate training your dog in order for them to be able to ride a little more comfortable in the car and also to reduce episodes of barking or whining.
Alternative: Pet Sitters
In the case that you have decided that this particular trip is not for your furry friend, one may turn to pet sitters. It would cater to one’s peace of mind if a trusted friend or relative would be willing to come by to check on your dog in order to replace food and water and also take him for walks.
In the event that a sitter would prefer to keep your dog at there house, we recommend visiting the place a few times with your pooch beforehand in order to make sure you are completely comfortable with the situations and have no qualms about leaving your pet in that environment. We strongly recommend leaving your pet in the care of someone you know and trust in order to ensure complete peace of mind.
Keep in mind that depending on what city you are traveling to there are certain pet hotels and doggy daycare centers. If you are traveling with your dog in the Delhi/Gurgaon area and need a place to watch your dog, you can check out the luxurious Critterati hotel. It has all the amenities and luxuries your pampered pooch could ever want complete with a doggy spa, cafe, and 24/7 veterinary hospital.
Need a pet-friendly hotel in Kovalam, Kerala or Chennai? Vivanta by Taj is an extremely pet-friendly hotel which will cover your dog with an extra fee per night.
If you are traveling to Goa with your dog, you might want to check out the Acro Iris Homestay in Curtorim, Goa. They are a pet-friendly hotel surrounded by woods and paddy fields which makes the ideal spot for you and your pet to stay in Goa.
If you are looking to stay in Mumbai, The Four Seasons might be the place for you and your pet, they provide a pet bed and toys for your buddy’s comfort. The Four Seasons, Mumbai has a few prerequisites them being your pet must weigh less than 30 kilograms and must never be left in the hotel room alone lest he scares the housekeeping.
If you are traveling to Darjeeling with your pet, you both will enjoy the beautiful and majestic Elgin Hotel & Resorts.
Do you plan on exploring the hills of Uttarakhand? Then you and your pet must stay at the Emerald Trail Hotel in Bhimtal , they are a pet friendly hotel where your pet can freely roam the 3 acre plot of the hotel and they will pet sit your dog if you decide to go exploring on your own , they provide stay for your dog at no extra cost.
If you plan on going to Pondicherry with your dog, we recommend The Dune Eco Village and Spa a mere 20 minutes from Pondicherry complete with a beautiful vast 35-acre resort and sandy beaches for you and your dog to roam and relax in.
If you and your pet are looking for a place to stay in Bangalore, we recommend Our Native Place in Hessarghatta. Ironically set in the IT hub it has a very rustic and retro ambiance for you and your dog to take it easy and relax.
We hope now you will never have to worry about bringing your dog anywhere. From all of us here at Marshallspetzone, we wish you happy travels!