Intas Neomec Tablets 10 Tabs
By buying this product you can collect up to 1 point. Your cart will total 1 point that can be converted into a voucher of ₹1.00.₹110.00 -5%
Suitable for dogs.
Treatment of intestinal worms, most mites, some lice, which includes mange.
Not effective for elimination of ticks, flies, flukes, or fleas.
For treatment of intestinal worms, mostly mites, some lice, also include mange. The medicine is not effective in the elimination of ticks, flies, flukes, or fleas. Because the eggs & larvae on the floor will mature and come back to the host.Effective against larval heartworms, but not for adult heartworms, though it may shorten their lifespan. The dose of the medicine must be very accurately measured, due to it's highly toxic in over-dosage.
Sometimes administered with the combination of other medications to treat a broad spectrum of animal parasites. Some dog breeds (like especially the Rough Collie, the Smooth Collie, the Shetland Sheepdog, and the Australian Shepherd), although have a high incidence of a certain mutation within the MDR1 gene; the affected animals are particularly sensitive to the toxic effects of Ivermectin. Clinical evidence suggests kittens are susceptible to Ivermectin toxicity.
Side effects in dogs: In some dogs, it has dangerous side effects like brain & nervous system, the liver. For the subsequent reason, some vets prescribe a liver protector, like Liv-52, to provide with the Neomec. There is a test to see if an individual animal has the gene mutation. For some dog breeds have a high incidence of adverse reaction. The risk of side effects associated with ivermectin depends on the dosage & on the susceptibility of the individual dog, and on the presence of a larval form of the heartworm.
When using for the low dose of heartworm prevention in a dog for free of heartworms, it is relatively safe. At higher doses which can be used for treat other parasitic infections, the risk of side effects increases.
Some potential side effects include: Vomiting, dilated pupils, muscle, tremors, blindness, incoordination, lethargy, lack of appetite, dehydration.
When used in a dog infected with heartworms, a shock-like reaction is believed to cause by dying microfilaria can occur. This type of reaction may be accompanied by lethargy, low body temperature, and vomiting. For dogs testing positive for heartworms are to be observed closely, at least 8 hours following the administration of it.
Sensitivity in Collies and Similar Breeds: Neurotoxicity can also occur with ivermectin usage in some dogs. It is particularly common in dogs which have a genetic mutation known as the MDR1, gene mutation. The gene mutation is known to occur most commonly in breeds like - Collies, Australian Shepherds, Shelties, Long-haired Whippets and other breeds with white feet.
Symptoms of neurotoxicity include incoordination, muscle tremors, seizures, blindness, and death. Used at dosages for heartworm prevention is generally safe for these dogs. However, the drug should be used at higher doses for dogs that may possess the MDR1 gene mutation. A test can be performed to check for the gene mutation.
Side Effects in cats: They have a fair high margin of safety. Known side effects include:
- lack of appetite,
- dilated pupils,
- paralysis of hind legs,
- muscle tremors,
- other neurological signs, like head pressing or wall climbing.
If your cat is receiving ivermectin and notice these types of symptoms, stop using the medicine & contact the vet.
Vet instructions to use the medicine in a safe way :
- The owners will be unaware of what had happened until the dogs began to fall ill.
- Ivermectin is a member of the macrocytic lactone class of parasiticides, which is commonly used for heartworm preventative in small animals & for the treatment of certain types of external & internal parasites for many different species.
- The difference for the safe use of ivermectin & poisoning is all about the dose and animal’s existing sensitivity to the drug.
- Some dogs carry a gene (MDR1 or ABCB1) which makes doses of ivermectin & other drugs which are safe for the danger to those individuals.
For heartworm prevention: 6 ug/kg
For treatment of sarcoptic mange: 300 ug/kg
For treatment of demodectic mange: 400-600 ug/kg
In general, non-sensitive breeds are to be exposed to more than 2,000 ug/kg before for the significant symptoms to develop & to the potentiality of toxic dose for MDR1 positive individuals can be as less as 100 ug/kg. Note that the incredibly low dose used for heartworm prevention is well below the toxic dose even for the most sensitive dogs. Before giving higher doses, the risk to dogs had to be tested for the MDR1 gene mutation. This is especially important for breeds like Collies, Shetland Sheepdogs, Australian Shepherds, Old English Sheepdogs, English Shepherds, German Shepherds, Long-haired Whippets, Silken Windhounds, and mutts which might be derived from these breeds.
Animals can be administered through oral or topical exposures as well as in injections. The symptoms arise when the drug is present in the body at high enough concentrations that cross the blood-brain barrier & adversely affects neurologic function. Some typical signs include: dilated pupils,unsteadiness when walking,mental dullness,drooling,vomiting,blindness,tremors,seizures,coma.
Treatment for an overdose of ivermectin is essentially symptomatic and supportive. If the poison is caught early enough, decontamination is helpful. Intravenous fluid therapy, endotracheal intubation, mechanical ventilation, extensive nursing care, seizure control, application of eye lubricants if the pet can't blink, also nutritional support may be necessary. In some cases, intravenous lipid emulsion therapy, which is a new technique but promising option for certain types of poisoning, might be worth considering.
A pet’s prognosis can be quite good if aggressive treatment is initiated in a timely manner, but because severe cases of ivermectin overdose often require several weeks of therapy, the expense is often prohibitive as was the unfortunate case with my clients who chose to euthanize the last puppy in what had been their much-anticipated litter.
To treat mange:
- Please ask and follow the vet instructions.
- Many give 1-tablet/week for 4-weeks.
- Some will also give a 1tsp of a liver protector, such as Liv-52, at the same time.
- Try putting the tablet in the dog’s mouth, but for safer & easier, either make the tablet into pieces & mix in the dog’s food.
- Can hide the tablet inside a treat.
- The alternative way is to use an injection.
- Please refer the vet for the best way to use this medicine.
Neomec (Ivermectin) is poisonous and dangerous in the wrong dosage. Don’t kill your dog by giving it the wrong dose.